Diversity is Good for Business
The Treasurer’s Office believes that our government should mirror the diversity in our state. And beyond that, diversity is good for business. Research demonstrates that diverse-owned companies are often well-situated to ascertain capital inefficiencies in the market, and as such, many are primed to outperform their peers. See our Focus on Inclusion Flyer.
That’s why we’re focused on providing more opportunities to qualified Minority, Women, Veteran, and Disabled-owned (MWVD) firms. Preference is accorded to qualified businesses that demonstrate or attest that (1) greater than 50% of the ownership interest of the firm is held by minority, female, veteran, and/or disabled persons, OR (2) greater than 75% of the firm’s senior managers are minority, female, veteran, and/or disabled persons. Definitions of “minority,” “female,” “veteran,” and “disabled person” are located in the Business Enterprise for Minorities, Females and Persons with Disabilities Act (30 ILCS 575) and Sections 45-57 (“Veterans”) of the Illinois Procurement Code (30 ILCS 500/45-57).
The Treasurer’s Office seeks a wide variety of financial services and products from MWVD firms, including, but not limited to:
Investment Management Services
||Cash & Cash Equivalents
|Custody and Safekeeping
|Cash and Check Processing
||Credit and Debit Card Processing
Other Investment Services
For non-investment related opportunities, including RFPs, RFIs, invitations to bid, and other related areas, please visit our Procurement Opportunities page.
Contact the Treasurer’s Investment Team
MWVD firms should contact MWVD@illinoistreasurer.gov to provide an overview of their business capabilities and discuss available investment opportunities. MWVD firms should also download and submit this Capabilities Questionnaire, which provides the Treasurer’s Office with a resource to be proactive in identifying business opportunities with MWVD investment firms. Submit completed questionnaires to MWVD@illinoistreasurer.gov.
- RFP Process – All RFPs now provide points in the scoring process to MWVD applicants.
- Preference for MWVD Investment Firms – Policies and procedures establish uniform operating processes across investment divisions for the allowance of preference to qualified MWVD-owned firms.
- Garcia Rule: Mandatory inclusion of MWVD Firms in Investment Searches – Require that for every search for an external investment manager, our consultants must include as least one diverse-owned manager.
- Corporate and Mutual Fund Board Diversity – Treasurer’s Office advocates for racial and gender diversity on corporate and mutual fund boards, which is a critical dimension of effective board performance.
- Diversity & Inclusion Disclosures – All firms seeking to business with the office must disclose how their firms promote diversity and equal opportunity.
- Enforcing Community Investment Standards – Treasurer’s Office reviews a financial institution’s record of commitment to its community when deciding whether to do business with that firm. Institutions with a rating below “satisfactory” are now ineligible.
- MWVD Business Liaison – Staff are specifically deployed to assist MWVD firms in doing business with the Treasurer’s Office. Contact MWVD@illinoistreasurer.gov.
- Diversity Survey – The Treasurer’s Office conducts an annual survey wherein business partners are required to disclose information on diversity among their ranks as well as details on how their organization promotes diversity and inclusion.
- MWVD Broker/Dealers – Since 2015, the Treasurer's Office increased utilization of diverse broker/dealers from 1% to 76%. In FY 2014, total assets brokered with MWVD firms was $603 million. In FY 2018, total assets brokered with MWVD firms was $35 billion. That’s 58 times more utilization. Track these results on The Vault.