What is E-Pay?
E-Pay is a full-service electronic payment program specifically designed for Illinois government agencies so they can quickly and securely receive monies through convenient, customized payment channels. Over 800 local and state government agencies have adopted E-Pay since it was created in 2002 to provide public agencies with a safe, timely, and competitively priced electronic payment solution.
All types of local and state government agencies can participate, including elected county officials, county treasurers, cities and villages, schools, libraries, parks and recreation facilities, sewage treatment districts, sanitation districts, other special taxing districts, community colleges, and universities.
As of January 2016, E-Pay participants included:
• 36 state agencies
• 66 county government units
• 246 cities and villages
• 193 schools and board of education offices
• 15 universities and colleges
• 108 libraries and library districts
• 13 parks and recreation facilities
• 10 sewage treatment districts
• 10 sanitation districts
• 5 public transportation
• 12 miscellaneous
Benefits of E-Pay
- Speed and Convenience – Constituents can pay bills 24 hours a day, seven days a week, from anywhere. It’s fast, convenient, and secure.
- Accessibility – Payments can be processed through a number of different channels. E-Pay users may accept credit cards, bank cards, and/or electronic checks over the counter, online, or by phone.
- Security and Compliance – Operated in a manner consistent with the Local Government Acceptance of Credit Cards Act (50 ILCS 345), PCI Data Security Standards, and prevailing credit card rules.
- Minimal Costs – Not only is E-Pay competitively priced, but our convenience fee program enables users to pass processing costs to constituents.
- Customer Care – Access to onboarding training, customer care specialists, annual Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance consulting, and Euro, Master Card, Visa (EMV) transition consulting.
- Investment Earnings – Earn greater returns on your balances and enjoy immediate access to your monies as part of The Illinois Funds Money Market Fund.
- No contract or request for proposal (RFP) required.
To open or update an E-Pay account, click here.
If you are a governmental entity and would like more information on services offered through E-Pay, please visit our FAQs page, or feel free to contact the Treasurer’s Office at 1-866-831-5240 or submit an online contact form.
Make a Payment
To find out if your local government participates, search its name in the section below under “Make a Payment.”
In the box to above, enter the full name of the government unit to which you wish to make a payment to.
• For example, to locate the Tazewell County Treasurer's Office, enter: "Tazewell County Treasurer" and click “Search."
• For example, to locate the City of Springfield, enter: "Springfield" and click “Search”.
To comply with current Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards, the E-Pay e-commerce application currently supports the following browsers: Internet Explorer 11 (Internet Explorer 10 can be used, but may require changes to your browser settings), Google Chrome v.38 or greater, Mozilla Firefox v.27 or greater, Safari v.7 or greater.